Thursday 18 September 2014

Sitting beside giants


#A few of my thoughts from the festival. Later discovered jotted down on the margin of a wine stained note book.


I am sitting beside Sophie Masson and trying not to get a mocha moustache.
I am standing behind Blanche D’Alpuget. She has nice hair.
I am shaking Jackie French’s hand.
I am making a total ass of myself.

Such has been the level of my fan-girling this weekend. The Bendigo Writers Festival offered that unique opportunity of bringing them before me, into my breathing space, into my state: these great unknowable literary icons of my bookshelf, and then expecting sensible conversation in return.

I probably would have been less nervous meeting film stars. After all, these people are from the ranks I actually aspire to join one day – published authors, poets, journalists.

Oh God, Mandy Sayer just laughed at my joke.


Thank God for the open bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment